On 11/27/2010 11:45 PM, 44whyfrog wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to R and I'm struggling with loading a data file without attribute
names, like:

1,72,0,5.6431,28.199
1,72,0,12.666,28.447
1,72,0,19.681,28.695
1,72,0,25.647,28.905

It has no names for the columns nor the rows. I tried

data<- read.table(path,header = FALSE, sep = ",")

and it seems to work. But later, when I try qqnorm to plot the graph, it
gives me the error msg:

xy.coords(x, y, xlabel, ylabel, log) :
   'x' and 'y' lengths differ

I think the reason might be that I load the file wrongly. What should I do
in this case?

Hi 44whyfrog,
I guess (and it's a wild one) that you have simply typed in the "usage" arguments, and these have little or no relation to what is in "data". If I were in your pond, I would first try:

names(data)

to see what the names of your columns are. If you do find columns named "x" and "y", try:

length(data$x)
length(data$y)

The error message may relate to the fact that you already have an "x" or a "y" object hanging around in your workspace, and they have different lengths.

Jim