For contour plots, some of the contour functions in graphics packages (lattice for one IIRC) are pretty good at understanding that columns in a matrix correspond to x,y, and z values already.

********

There are many ways to do this in R. For very simple problems, this one is convenient:

library(ecodist)
newdata <- crosstab(mydata$x, mydata$y, mydata$z)

For more complicated problems, reshape is very powerful.

Sarah