On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Sascha Vieweg wrote:

I have many German umlauts in my data sets and code them UTF-8. When it comes to plotting on pdf, I figured out that "CP1257" is a good choice to output Umlauts. I have no experiences with "CP1250", but maybe this small hint helps:

pdf(file=paste(sharepath, "/filename.pdf", sep=""), 9, 6, pointsize = 11, family = "Helvetica", encoding = "CP1257")

Just an FYI for the archives, that encoding fails with pdf(encoding="CP1257") on a Mac when printing that target umlaut.

David.

*S*

On 11-01-13 16:17, tde...@cogpsyphy.hu wrote:

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:17:04 +0100 (CET)
From: tde...@cogpsyphy.hu
To: David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] unicode&pdf font problem RESOLVED

Dear David,

Thank you for your efforts. Inspired by your remarks, I started a new
google-search and found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3434349/sweave-not-printing-localized-characters

SO HERE COMES THE SOLUTION (it works on both OSs):

pdf.options(encoding = "CP1250")
pdf()
plot(1,type="n")
text(1,1,"\U0171")
dev.off()

CP1250 should work for all Central-European languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1250

Thank you again,
Denes