Hi:

Because R does not have a direct interface to MySQL?

You need to load a communication package - the two most common ones are
RODBC and RMySQL. The former requires that you register your MySQL database
table(s) with ODBC before using the RODBC package on them, whereas the
latter works with specific version combinations of MySQL and R. The RODBC
package has a very informative vignette; for information re the RMySQL
package, see
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/RMySQL

HTH,
Dennis