Thanks. Exactly what I wanted.

As usual, I played around with all sorts of things to try and get the expression right, but never thought of as.name.

David Scott

On 25/01/2011 4:32 a.m., Charles C. Berry wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, David Scott wrote:

I have a problem with expressions. I am trying to create a title where the
parameter of interest is displayed as a Greek character. Which parameter is
being considered is stored in a character variable.

As an example, if I have

param<- "alpha"

param<- as.name("alpha")

HTH,

Chuck

and then do

plot(0, 0, main = bquote(Parameter==.(param)))

then in the title I get "Parameter = alpha",
whereas I want the Greek character alpha.

David Scott

David Scott     Department of Statistics
                 The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                 Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:  d.sc...@auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics

Charles C. Berry                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu                        UC San Diego