I would like to use POSIX classes to store dates and extract components of
dates. Following the example in Spector ("Data Manipulation in R"), I
create a date

> mydate = as. POSIXlt('2005-4-19 7:01:00')

I then successfully extract the day with the command

> mydate$day
[1] 19

But when I try to extract the month

 > mydate$mon
[1] 3

it returns the wrong month. And mydate$year is off by about 2,000 years.
Am I doing something wrong?

Dr. Seth  W. Bigelow
Biologist, USDA-FS Pacific Southwest Research Station
1731 Research Park Drive, Davis California
sbige...@fs.fed.us /  ph. 530 759 1718