Hmmm I was hoping there would be a more natural way to do it. For example,
if you actually try to call the first function with all arguments:

lm(formula=dist~speed, digits=3, data=cars)

R will match whatever it can, and give you a warning with the names of
remaining unmatched arguments. The only thing I really need is instead of a
warning take these arguments and pass them on to the next function.