Hello, Derek,

first of all, be very aware of what David Winsemius said; you are about to enter the area of "unprincipled data-mining" (as he called it) with its trap -- one of many -- of multiple testing. So, *if* you know what the consequences and possible remedies are, a purely R-syntactic "solution" to your problem might be the (again not fully tested) hack below.

If so how can I change my code to automate the chisq.test in the same way I did for the wilcox.test?

Try

lapply( <your_data_frame>[<selection_of_relevant_components>],
        function( y)
         chisq.test( y, <your_data_frame>$<group_name>)
      )

or even shorter:

lapply( <your_data_frame>[<selection_of_relevant_components>],
        chisq.test, <your_data_frame>$<group_name>
      )

However, in the resulting output you will not be seeing the names of the variables that went into the first argument of chisq.test(). This is a little bit more complicated to resolve:

lapply( names( <your_data_frame>[<selection_of_relevant_components>]),
        function( y)
         eval( substitute( chisq.test( <your_data_frame>$y0,
                                       <your_data_frame>$tension),
                           list( y0 = y) ) )
       )

Still another possibility is to use xtabs() (with its summary-method) which has a formula argument.

 Hoping that you know what to do with the results  --  Gerrit