On Jun 3, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Mark Aquino wrote:

Yes I understand what ?<text> means, I meant is it possible to use this function (as an argument) with heatmap.2, but I learned I can use add.expr=mtext(....) to do that. However I'm not simply trying to add more text to the graph but rather move the display of the x- axis labels from the bottom of the chart to the top so the output would be more like:

1 2 3 4 5 6
--------------|1
                   |2
                   |3
                   |4
                   |5

The help page makes me think that repositioning the x-labels (which would also require repositioning or suppressing the "upper" dendrogram) would require hacking the function, since it sets up specific regions on the page with layout(). You should provide a minimal example for other readers, but I'm not going to proceed further since it is now clear that you are not just trying to move the 'xlab' which was how I interpreted your initial problem description.

[ Assuming you have suppressed the column dendrogram, it may be a simple as changing the 1 to 3 in this line of code:

 axis(1, 1:nc, labels = labCol, las = 2, line = -0.5, tick = 0,
        cex.axis = cexCol)
....]

--
David