If your alternative hypothesis is unequal variances (2-sided), both F < 1 and F > 1 are of interest, and rejection of the equal variance null can occur on either side.

The usual ANOVA F test is 1-sided, with an alternative the numerator variance exceeds the denominator one, so this is perhaps why you are confused.