On Jul 14, 2011, at 9:18 PM, onthetopo wrote:

Hi there,

 I have a large amino acid csv file like this:

input.txt:
P,LV,Q,Z
P,VL,Q,Z
P,ML,QL,Z

Are you also asking how to read a comma separated file?

? read.csv   # and read more introductory material

There is a problem with this file, since LV and VL are in fact the same
thing.
How do I order each element according to alphabetical order so that the
desired output would look like:

output.txt:
P,LV,Q,Z
P,LV,Q,Z
P,LM,LQ,Z

That is not a reproducible example without input code:

Perhaps:

as.data.frame(lapply(input_dfrm, gsub, patt="LV", repl="VL"))

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT