Making the second layer of legend have full transparency seems to have fixed
the issue. My first layer has to have a white background because I have a
colored grid behind (sorry that didn't make it into my toy example).

I did try to use type="Xlib", but I get the error "libpng warning:
Application built with libpng-1.2.26 but running with 1.5.2"

My sessionInfo() is
R version 2.13.1 RC (2011-07-04 r56273)
Platform: i386-apple-darwin9.8.0/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

Thanks for your help, I never would have realized I needed to use a
transparent background.