Dear  gls-experts,

while reading and testing some examples of the  book
"introductionary time series analysis with R",
I encountered the following fact which puzzles me.

Confidence intervals for global temperature time series (P99)
computed from general least squares (GLS) to fit the time series.

I repeat the example from the book and get the same results:

temp.gls=gls(temp ~ time(temp),correlation=corAR1(0.7))
print(confint(temp.gls))
                   2.5 %       97.5 %
(Intercept) -39.80571914 -28.49658509
time(temp)    0.01442274   0.02011148

But to my surprise the value of the lag 1 acf does not matter:

temp.gls=gls(temp ~ time(temp),correlation=corAR1(0.1))
print(confint(temp.gls))
                   2.5 %       97.5 %
(Intercept) -39.80571914 -28.49658509
time(temp)    0.01442274   0.02011148

I could set it even to 0.0 or -0.1 and get the same  result.

Why the confidence interval should be independent of the value of the
autocorrelation?

Many thanks for any hints in this matter, best regards, Adolf stips

Adolf Stips (adolf.st...@jrc.ec.europa.eu)
Global Environment Monitoring unit
CEC Joint Research Centre, TP 272
I-21027 Ispra, Italy
Tel: +39-0332-789876
Fax: +39-0332-789034
I know that I do not know, but even that not for sure!
"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."