On 12-02-14 12:34 AM, Ben quant wrote:
Hello,

I can get at environments if I know their names, but what if want to look
at what environments currently exist at some point in a script? In other
words, if I don't know what environments exist and I don't know their
sequence/hierarchy, how do I display a visual representation of the
environments and how they relate to one another?

Environments are objects and most of them are maintained in the same places as other objects (including some obscure places, such as in structures maintained only in external package code), so it's not easy to generate a complete list.

I'm looking at getting away from the package R.oo and using R in normal
state, but I need a way to "check in on" the status and organization of my
environments.

I've done considerable research on R's environments, but its a challenging
thing to google and come up with meaningful results.

I would suggest reading the technical documentation: the R Language manual, the R Internals manual, and some of the papers on the "Technical papers" page.

Duncan Murdoch