On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Xiaobo Gu wrote:

You would need do compile your own copy of R and increase the stack
size,
Can we do this at runtime?

That depends on your unstated OS. Uwe gave you an answer for Windows. On many other OSes, the stack size is set up by the OS when the process is started, and your OS documentation will tell you how to increase it.

You need at least 76252 obs and that means the design matrix needs > 46
Gbyte! Hence a sensible calculation is not really possible unless you
have really big machines around.

We do have big machines, but we don't have more obs for this data, so we will
revise the algorithm to try less combinations data set size.

He didn't say 'big machine'! I doubt it you could do anything useful with less than 512GB RAM.

But more seriously, fitting a GLM (this message gives no context, but I think that was the task) is a O(p^3) calculation, so you would also need a great deal of patience.

Regards,

Xiaobo Gu

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk