On 17.04.2012 01:26, MacQueen, Don wrote:
I believe that shell() was superceded by system(), quite a long time ago.

Not really, under Windows, shell() will start a shell while system() won't.

Uwe Ligges

However, I get this:

foo<- system('printenv',intern=TRUE) ; foo[grepl('SHELL',foo)]
[1] "SHELL=/bin/tcsh"       "XTERM_SHELL=/bin/tcsh"

And tcsh is my login shell, i.e., as specified for my account at the OS
level. To me, this implies that you should get bash by default if your
account is configured for bash, but I can't know for certain.

-Don