Dear useRs,

I would like to be able to smoothly use the "log" base graphics argument as an
argument to pairs().  Currently in my hands, pairs() accepts the argument,
makes transformed plots accordingly, but then stumbles over some annotation
commands.  Example:

############  begin session

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.0 Patched (2012-04-29 r59255)    ###  CRAN binary, not
personally compiled
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
  LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C                           LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

###  using datasets::airquality
> pairs( na.omit( airquality[, 1:4] ) )                 ##  this works fine,
> but......
> pairs( na.omit( airquality[, 1:4] ), log='xy' )    ##  hmm.....
There were 20 warnings (use warnings() to see them)

############  end session

The warnings are all of the form

                  In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :  "log"
is not a graphical parameter

And while the plots are log transformed and the axis scales properly rendered,
the labels in the diagonal panels were not rendered. There were no zeros in the
data to cause any choking of a log evaluation.

Is there an easy workaround for this that anyone can share with me, or would
this require a significant patching of the internals of pairs() to process its
"..." argument more tightly?

Thanks,
John
John  Szumiloski,  Ph.D.

Senior Biometrician
Biometrics Research
WP53B-120
Merck Research Laboratories
P.O. Box 0004
West Point, PA 19486-0004

(215) 652-7346 (PH)
(215) 993-1835 (FAX)

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachme...{{dropped:14}}