Hi,

sorry for the last sentence, i was trying to make a generic statement by
writing "function"
So the code has to be:

# Save error mesage:
   error1  <-  file("error1.txt", open="wt")
   sink(error1, type="message")
   experiment <- somefunction(data)

(I mean  no matter what function is...)

error1 is not a variable, y can't watch what contains, it is only the
definition of a file....

What i wanted was in fact to create a variable with the error message, I can
do it of course by reading the file, but my question is about doing it
directly.
Thanks

2008/4/10, Uwe Ligges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Patricia García wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I need to get an error message as an object in the std output console. I
> > can
> > get it as a file with the following instructions:
> >
> > # Save error mesage:
> >    error1  <-  file("error1.txt", open="wt")
> >    sink(error1, type="message")
> >    experiment <- function(data)
> >

> > With this, the error messages get saved in the file, but i need them as
> > object in order to work with it in the console.
> >

> I'm not sure what you are going to do, note that the last line contains an
> incomplete statement...
>
> If you want an object: you already have got the object error1 ...
>
> If you want error handling facilities, see ?try and its "See Also"
> section.
>

> Uwe Ligges
>

>  Is it possible?
> > Thanks