Just an additional note: what I find interesting (that is an
euphemism) is that a paper such as that got published on 2006 when a
whole bunch of detailed papers on the same topic had been published in
the past. For instance, the first I pick from the pile is by J.
Romano, "On the behavior of randomization tests without a group
invariance assumption", JASA, 1990, 85 (411): 686-692. There are other
related papers on that same issue of JASA. The relevance of
same-variance assumption also shows up in permutation test textbooks
(including, I think, Manly's, Good's, Noreen's, etc).

Best,

R.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Greg Snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A few comments,
>
>  My first impression on reading that abstract was that it was complete
> nonsense.  After thinking a bit about it and skimming the full article I
> decided that it was nonsense, but nonsense that is important to research and
> discuss (and therefore the paper is useful).
>
>  Why is it nonsense?  The permutation test is a test of the null hypothesis
> that the 2 (or k) groups are from the same distribution (or identically
> distributed, or exchangable).  The abstract says that they looked at the type
> I error rate when the 2 groups had different variances or other differences.
> The type I error is defined when the null hypothesis is true, so computing a
> type I error rate when the null is by definition false does not make sense.
>
>  However, statisticians often do analyses where all the assumptions are not
> necessarily true (is any population really distributed as a normal), but the
> tests are close enough.  So with modern tools it is not suprising to see
> people doing permutation tests without understanding what they are really
> testing and the results may be close enough (or they might not be).  The
> contribution of this paper is to test and see if the results are close enough
> or not when you use a permutation test to test the null that the means are
> equal when there are other differences in the groups.  Their answer is that
> no, the results are not close enough and they suggest that if you want to
> test for equality of means, but not identical distributions, then don't use a
> permutation test.
>
>  To expand on Thierry's original answer:
>
>  If you are testing the correct hypotheses and doing a permutation test
> correctly, then
>  "You can do permutation tests on an unbalanced design" and it will still be
> a correct test.  Unbalance could affect the power, which you would want to
> take into account when designing a study, but does not affect the correctness
> of the test (when used properly).
>
>  Hope this helps,
>
>  --
>  Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
>  Statistical Data Center
>  Intermountain Healthcare
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  (801) 408-8111

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team
Structural Biology and Biocomputing Programme
Spanish National Cancer Centre (CNIO)
http://ligarto.org/rdiaz