I'm finally back from vacation and looking at your email.

1. The primary mistake is in your call, where you say
     fit <- survfit(mod.allison.5, newdata.1, id="Id")

This will use the character string "Id" as the value of the identifier,
not the data.  The effect is exactly the same as the difference between
print(x) and print('x').

is correct.  Normally the survfit routine is used to produce multiple
curves, one curve per line of the input data, for time-independent
variables.   The presence of an id argument is used to tell it that
there are multiple lines per subject in the data, e.g. time-dependent
covariates.  So even though there is only one curve being produced we
need an id statement to trigger the behavior.
   If you only want one curve for one individual, then "individual=TRUE"
is an alternate, as John pointed out.

3. "It's very important to specify the Surv object and the formula
directly in the coxph function ..."
Yes, I agree.  I always use your suggested form because it gives better
documentation -- variable names are directly visible in the coxph call.
I don't understand the attraction of the other form, but lot's of people
use it.
    Why did it go wrong?  Because the survfit function was evaluating
         Surv(Rossi.2$start, Rossi.2$stop, Rossi.2$arrest.time) ~ fin +
age + age:stop + pro, data=newdata.1

The length of the variables will be different.  The error message comes
from the R internals, not my program.

Terry Therneau