I believe chambers book has an example using S4 classes. which isnt much
help for a beginner.

you can do it the old school way. build it by hand with one vector of
pointers and another data structure of leaf nodes. there is nothing magical
about a tree. you can build one in basic or fortran. painful but good for
ur character.