Jan,

There are a lot of packages that can help you, the best one depends on your needs (with or without prediction uncertainty, format of results, different options) and the size of your problem.
CRAN has a spatial Task View
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html
with a short description of most packages dealing with spatial data. I think the functions you mentioned should be able to solve your problems, but I dont have experience with either of them. It is impossible to know what you are doing wrong as you did not post any error messages. For increasing the resolution of your data, you can also try disaggregate or resample in the raster package. gstat, with automap or intamap as simpler interfaces can also be used for geostatistical interpolation to the higher resolution grid, also giving you a prediction uncertainty. You should in general be careful with interpolation of lat-lon data, consider using spTransform to get projected coordinates if you use any of the geostatistical methods.

You will for spatial questions generally get quicker response from the r-sig-geo mailinglist.

Best wishes,
Jon