On 18 Apr 2008, at 6:42 pm, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Antony Unwin wrote:
>>
>> The course itself went very well.  We encouraged people to bring
>> their  laptops and work in groups.  Using JGR as the interface to R
>> helped a  lot, as it was easier for people to load their own data
>> and use the  help.  Of course, JGR is compulsory in Augsburg.
> Speaking of JGR... What are the appropriate channels to complain and/
> or contribute?

This will do fine, though [EMAIL PROTECTED]
would be the "official" route and Markus Helbig ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
is the key person.

> I had looked into it at an earlier point (on Fedora Linux) and got
> stuck on some fairly simple usability issues, like font choice and
> color scheme. Things like
>
> - if you select a bigger font, the window size remains the same.
> Changes to window size do not survive to subsequent invokations.
>
> - output is quite unreadable in proportional fonts, so why make them
> available?
>
> - some fonts have poor contrast, but there seems to be no way to
> select boldface versions.
>
> - the latest version has turned to a blue-on-gray scheme, which
> doesn't help with the contrast either
> This is all pretty trivial stuff, but the bottom line is that all
> the really exciting stuff isn't really of much use if students
> cannot read it in the back rows.

Your points should certainly be looked into.  Having the font big
enough for students to read in the back row has not been a problem for
me.

> A couple other maybe not all that trivial things to do is to improve
> the data import (it is losing out on most of the things that I tried)

Now what would Brian say to a comment like that?  Please insert your
favourite put-down here:

And then perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know in a little
more detail what hasn't worked for you.

> and to get the wires connected between the DataTable and the edit()
> command.

Thanks for your comments.

Antony