Hello all,

Please review the following simple code:

# make a factor:
x <- factor(c("one", "two"))
       # what should be the output to the following expression?
c(x, "3")    # <===  ????
       # I expected it to be as the output of:
c(as.character(x), "3")
       # But in fact, the output is what would happen if we had ran the
next line:
c(as.character(as.numeric(x)), "3")
       # p.s: c(x, 3) would of course behave differently...

I imagine the above behavior is a "feature" (not a bug), but I am curious
as to what is the rational behind it.  Is it because of computational
efficiency, or something that fixes some case study?

Thanks,
Tal