Hello,

Maybe the following will help.

layout(matrix(c(1,2,3,0,4,5,6), c(1,6)))

Note the zero. It reserves space but no graph is put there.

There is an error in your code, you plot twice guns/gender. I think the second is meant to be guns/age.
Also, you can do those 6 barplot instructions like this:

lapply(c("gender", "age"), function(y) {
        lapply(c("guns", "crime", "climate"), function(x)
                barplot(prop.table(table(dat[[x]], dat[[y]]), 2)))})

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas