Hi Mikhail,

You can reduce the text size using the "grid.gedit" approach described at the end of the ggplot book, available on Hadley Wickham's website:
http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/book.pdf

You could use something like:
grid.gedit(gPath("xaxis", "labels"), gp=gpar(fontsize=6))

I'm not aware of a good way of rotating the text. I tried it but it did not look good, because with grid.gedit, the position of the different elements is not adjusted. So if you rotate labels, maybe they will be drawn on top of the axis title.

For the pdf device, you also need to specify the size of the graphic region, with something like:
pdf(paper="a4r", width=9, height=6)
see ?pdf for details

Xavier

Mikhail Spivakov a écrit :
Hi everyone,

I've got quite a few labels along the x axis and ggplot2 basically just
crams them on top of each other.
Is it possible to reduce the font size and/or text direction?

Stretching the "windows" device window manually also helps, but I found that
setting the parameters for the pdf device (where my scripts should print the
data), such as paper="a4r" just results in a lot of empty space at both
sides.

Thanks for your help!

Mikhail

====