Hi again all,
Several replied ASAP that I also needed reshape loaded and not just
reshape2.
Hmmm tried that and I had some output but not the correct format.

What I need is to run simulations of time overlap between species as per
the simulation program data input constraints:

The basis for the simulations is a species by _time-use matrix in which
species are arranged in rows, and time intervals are arranged
files with no headings for columns or rows.Empirical data must be
specified in proportional abundances (0 to 100) and totals for each
species should be the same (100%).

With the existing code the result was rows were correct for species but
dates were used for columns rather than the times.

The input file read has long format 4 columns - species; location; date;
time.

It dawns on me I may need to have a sub sample of the main data set by
Location ID first then have the code run but for time values and not dates.

I need to tweak this a bit more to see if I can figure that out as well.

I will have many repetitions of this dat reformatting so it is important
I get the code correct one time so I can run this on the gazillion or so
data sets accumulated.

Rather than use reshape can I use _recast_ in place of cast and stick
with reshape2?

Bruce