p.s.  Orthogonal polynomials can be defined for any probability
distribution on the real line, discrete, continuous, or otherwise, as
described in the Wikipedia article on "orthogonal polynomials".

On 10/10/2013 5:02 PM, Marino David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We know that Hermite polynomial is for
> Gaussian, Laguerre polynomial for Exponential
> distribution, Legendre polynomial for uniform
> distribution, Jacobi polynomial for Beta distribution. Does anyone know
> which kind of polynomial deals with the log-normal,

       * lognormal in X is normal for Z = log(X).  Therefore, you'd use
Hermite polynomials in Z.

> Student's t, Inverse
> gamma and Fisher's F distribution?

       * If X follows an F(d1, d2) distribution, then Z = d1*x/(x1*x+d2)
follows a beta distribution.  Use Jacobi polynomials on Z.

       * If X follows a student's t(df), then X^2 follows an F(1, df)
distribution.  Again, use Jacobi on the appropriate transform.

       * If X follows an inverse gamma, then 1/X follows a gamma
distribution.

       Does this answer the question?

       Spencer