Agustin Lobo wrote:

Thanks, but I'm looking for a more user-friendly environment
that would make the transition from windows to linux
easier for students using the R GUIs in windows,
either the "by default" GUI or the SciView GUI (which, btw, are both excellent).

Another cross-platform solution which functionally is comparable to
emacs+ESS and tends to please students is the StatET plugin for Eclipse.

Using a script and submitting (the relevant lines) using Ctrl-R Ctrl-V (which will paste output results directly into the script) might emulate a diary file.

You can find more information at

http://www.walware.de/goto/statet/

Basically, download and unzip (= installation) Eclipse
classic (stable release) from

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Next, installation of StatET should be straightforward from
the Eclipse GUI via

Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install...
Search for new features to install

Then just use

 http://www.walware.de/eclipseupdates

as a (new) Eclipse update site and walk through the wizard.

To get started (launching R, configuring for Sweave etc.),
you can access the cheat sheets via

    Help -> Cheat Sheets... -> StatET: R in Eclipse.

For questions, there is a dedicated mailing list at

HTH,
Tobias

Agus

Vincent Goulet wrote:
Agustin,

Given this message and your previous one about starting R by clicking on the .RData file, I would suggest/recommend you have a look at the Emacs + ESS combination; see

    http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-Emacs

In my opinion, this is the best multi-platform (Unix, MacOS, Windows) user interface you will find for R.

HTH   Vincent