Hello,

On Oct 29, 2013, at 10:16 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 29/10/2013 20:42, Rui Barradas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> You can use the argument to write.csv or write.table  append = TRUE to
>> write the matrix in chunks. Something like the following.
>
> That was going to be my suggestion. But the reason long vectors have not been
> implemented is that is rather implausible to be useful.   A text file with
> the values of such a numeric matrix is likely to be 100GB. What are you going
> to do with such a file?  For transfer to another program I would seriously
> consider a binary format (e.g. use writeBin), as it is the conversion to and
> from text that is time consuming.

I need to submit it to a cluster analysis (k-means). From an independent source
I have been advised to use means algorithm written in C which is very fast and
efficient. It asks for a txt file as an input.

I tried few options in R, where I am more comfortable, but solution never came,
even after too many hours.

Thanks!
Best,
PM