There is indeed a glitch in 'dredge' that prevents you from seeing the
actual error message. It is explained in "?dredge", in section "Missing
values". (it's been corrected now in 1.9.14, on R-forge)

kamil

On 2013-11-08 11:00, r-help-requ...@r-project.org wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 26
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:55:50 -0500
From: Martin Turcotte<mart.turco...@gmail.com>
To:r-help@r-project.org
Subject: [R] Error running MuMIn dredge function using glmer models

Dear list,
I am trying to use MuMIn to compare all possible mixed models using the dredge
function on binomial data but I am getting an error message that I cannot
decode. This error only occurs when I use glmer. When I use an lmer analysis on
a different response variable every works great.

Example using a simplified glmer model
global model:
mod<- glmer(cbind(st$X2.REP.LIVE, st$X2.REP.DEAD) ~ DOMESTICATION*GLUC +
(1|PAIR), data=st, na.action=na.omit , family=binomial)

The response variables are the number of survival and dead insects (successes
and failures)
DOMESTICATION is a 2 level factor.
GLUC is a continuous variable.
PAIR is coded as a factor or character (both ways fail).

This model functions correctly but when I try it with dredge() I get an error.

g<- dredge(mod, beta=F, evaluate=F, rank='AIC')
Error in sprintf(gettext(fmt, domain = domain), ...) :
   invalid type of argument[1]: 'symbol'

When I try with another rank the same thing happens:
chat<- deviance(mod)/58
g<- dredge(mod, beta=F, evaluate=F, rank='QAIC', chat=chat)
Error in sprintf(gettext(fmt, domain = domain), ...) :
   invalid type of argument[1]: 'symbol'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Martin Turcotte, Ph. D.
mart.turco...@gmail.com