Hi there,

I am new to R and programming in general and am looking for help with
writing a function with dates and times. I have checked around but am still
a bit stuck.

Basically, I have data in the format "dd/mm/YYYY HH:MM" and I have to
calculate how much time has passed between various events.

I have given the following command ( where "date" is the column in my data
frame that indicates the date and time)
date=as.Date.factor(date,format="%d/%m/%Y %H:%M")
However, this displays only the date, without the time.

I also have tried:
date=substr(argo1$date,1,907)
And it shows the date and time.

However, when I try to find the difference between two dates i.e.the time
that has passed with the command: difftime(date[2],date[3],unit="secs"), it
returns that 0 seconds have passed.

When I try to find the difference with the command:
date[3]-date[2]
it tells me Error in date[3] - date[2] : non-numeric argument to binary
operator

The class(date) is "character".

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thank you very much in advance!

--
*Protect the environment: think before you print*