Hello. I know how to make a bar plot in which a numeric y variable is
plotted against some grouping variable X (say, groups A, B, C) when this
grouping variable is subdivided into each of two subgroups; so the bars
would be: (group A subgroup 1) beside (group A subgroup 2), then (group B
subgroup 1) beside (group B subgroup 2), and so on. This is done using the
beside=TRUE argument in the barplot() function.  However, I want to make a
slightly different type of barplot in which the numerical values of the
subgroups (subgroups 1 and 2) are measured in very different scales.  I want
to use different scales to define the numerical y values for each subgroup.
This graph would have one scale on the left-hand y-axis and a second scale
on the right-hand y-axis.

I cannot simply superimpose two bar plots because I have to make sure that
the subgroup bars are beside each other.

Bill Shipley

North American Editor, Annals of Botany

Département de biologie

Université de Sherbrooke