On 03/04/2014 16:26, Frances Cheesman wrote:
Hi all,

I have a number of bacterial growth curves I would like to find the
equations for these and then integrate them to find the area under the
curves for me to do stats on later.

Is there any way I can do this in R?

Thanks,

Frances

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Responding to the curve fitting question and passing over the integration issue...

It is quite common to use nls to fit equations to log(count) v time data. You'll have to choose an appropriate model, ideally as a self starting nls model. Of those included in the stats package you might consider SSfpl, SSgompertz, SSlogis and SSweibull.

But choice of a model is really a microbiological issue and all those models might be considered a little passe. Fitting this kind of sigmoidal model can be difficult unless the data is good.