On Aug 12, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Bert Gunter wrote:

> PI's of what? -- future individual values or mean values?
>
> I assume quantreg provides quantiles for the latter, not the former.
> (See ?predict.lm for a terse explanation of the difference).

I probably should have questioned the poster about what was meant by a
"prediction interval for a monotonic loess curve". I was suggesting quantile
regression for estimation of a chosen quantile, say the 90th percentile. I was
thinking it could produce the analogue of a 90th percentile value (with no
reference to a mean value or use of presumed distribution within adjacent
windows of say 100-150 points. I had experience using the cobs function (in the
package of the same name) as Koenker illustrates:

age <- runif(1000,min=60,max=85)

 analyte <- rlnorm(1000,4*(age/60),age/60)
 plot(age,analyte)

 library(cobs)
 library(quantreg)
 Rbs.9 <- cobs(age,analyte, constraint="increase",tau=0.9)
Rbs.median <- cobs(age,analyte,constraint="increase",tau=0.5)

png("cobs.png"); plot(age,analyte, ylim=c(0,2000))
 lines(predict(Rbs.9), col = "red", lwd = 1.5)
lines(predict(Rbs.median), col = "blue", lwd = 1.5)
 dev.off()

-- David

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA