I apologize if this question is posted in the wrong place. I am using portfolio.optim to run an optimization on a stock portfolio. As I understand modern portfolio theory, to run a mean-variance optimization of the allocation for a portfolio, you must specify an expected return. The examples at the bottom of the help page do not provide an expected return (pm in the parameter list).

Two questions: a) What kind of portfolio results when no expected return is provided? b) Is it possible to do a market portfolio optimization on the Sharpe ratio with this function??

Thanks for any help.