Hi Evans,

not many people (incl. me) are going to guess the building law for your recursive structure from the -- in fact at first sight not so clear -- picture, but I have some comments inline below.

 Hth  --  Gerrit

I am trying to creat a list from a loop such that once you loop the value obtained is appended onto the list, then you loop through that value to give the next elemet of the list and the system continues recusively. To be clear I am creating a list to contain elements of the following tree probabilities; <http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4710898/help.png> . The elements of the diagram should be presented in a list such that each level of the tree represents elements in the list (only the coefficients are of interest). I have this code to start with

If you use a while-loop without a termination criterion and, e.g., a call to break, in its body it would run forever (if the code in its body were correct). Start coding with a (finite) for-loop. (Or even better start setting j and i "by hand" and let your code be evaluated step by step.)

j <- 0

while(j >= 0){

 j <- j+1

Here you create in each loop the same starting list (which I guess is not what you want/should):

 occlist <- list(1)

So, as a consequence an error occurs for j >= 2 in the following for-loop, because occlist has always only 1 component:

 for(i in occlist[[j]]){

   occ_cell <- seq(i, i+1, by = 1)

The following two lines of code compensate each other, so seem to be superfluous:

   occllist <- list(occ_cell)

   occunlist <- as.vector(unlist(occllist, recursive = TRUE))

   occlist[[j]] <- occunlist

   print(occlist)

 }
}

Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.