Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen in this tread mention of Venables and Ripley (2000) S Programming (Springer). I found it interesting and useful, though I have not used it as much as MASS -- partly because it is more specialized and it's coverage is not as broad.
     Spencer

hadley wickham wrote:
However, on a more fundamental "programming philosophy" note, the fact
that R does not allow multiple references to one object is a limitation.
One of the fundamental principles of good programming is that there
should be a one-to-one correspondence between instances in the program
and objects in the "real world" (problem domain etc.), and having no
references makes achieving this difficult (and quite impossible for
more complex systems).

This is a principle of object oriented programming, not good
programming in general!

Hadley