No expert here, and this isn't tested. It seems you can set the
forbid.reuse option which will cause curl to shutdown the connection
after transfer is complete.

if(url.exists("http://www.omegahat.net/RCurl/index.html";)) {
   curl <- getCurlHandle()
   curlSetOpt(.opts=list(forbid.reuse=1),curl=curl)
   getURL("http://www.omegahat.net/RCurl/index.html";, curl = curl)
}