[This is drifting somewhat awy from the original intention of the topic, I
think].

This looks like a build dependency. I get

3.3.2 (yeah, I know, should upgrade):

> (1+2i)/0
[1] NaN+NaNi

R-devel, march 24:

> (1+2i)/0
[1] Inf+Infi

on the *same* machine. The difference is that one is stock CRAN, the other was
built locally. So with the toolchain being updated for 3.4.0, this difference
would likely go away. Or at least change...

-pd

> On 31 Mar 2017, at 19:15 , Berend Hasselman <b...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> I have noted a difference between R on macOS en on Kubuntu Trusty (64bits)
> with complex division.
> I don't know what would happen R on Windows.
>
> R.3.3.3:
>
> macOS (10.11.6)
> -----------------
>> (1+2i)/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
>> (-1+2i)/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
>>
>> 1i/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
>> 1i/(0+0i)
> [1] NaN+NaNi
>

> KubuntuTrusty
> -----------------
>> (1+2i)/0
> [1] Inf+Infi
>> (-1+2i)/0
> [1] -Inf+Infi
>>
>> 1i/0
> [1] NaN+Infi
>> 1i/(0+0i)
> [1] NaN+Infi
>
> Interesting to see what R on Windows delivers.
>
> Berend Hasselman

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23