On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

I was not aware of this I've always used a single # for comment
everywhere that's the correct symbol. I'll try two of 'em.

  Reading the 17.11 user guide I see what #, ##, and ### do. I also put the
suggested line to remove the fancy comments in ~/.emacs but it didn't seem
to help when I restarted emacs.

  The SBo ess package maintainer found the build problem: the script puts
the info file in the wrong directory (it changed from 5.14). He'll have a
working script done in a day or two.

  My thanks to all!

Rich