You might achieve this using readr:

```
library(readr)

lines <- "Id, Date, Time, Quality, Lat, Long
    STM05-1, 2005/02/28, 17:35, Good, -35.562, 177.158
    STM05-1, 2005/02/28, 19:44, Good, -35.487, 177.129
    STM05-1, 2005/02/28, 23:01, Unknown, -35.399, 177.064
    STM05-1, 2005/03/01, 07:28, Unknown, -34.978, 177.268
    STM05-1, 2005/03/01, 18:06, Poor, -34.799, 177.027
    STM05-1, 2005/03/01, 18:47, Poor, -34.85, 177.059
    STM05-2, 2005/02/28, 12:49, Good, -35.928, 177.328
    STM05-2, 2005/02/28, 21:23, Poor, -35.926, 177.314"

read_csv(lines)

read_csv(
  lines,
  skip = 1, # Ignore the header row
col_names = c("myId", "myDate", "myTime", "myQuality", "myLat", "myLong"),
  col_types = cols(
    myDate = col_date(format = ""),
    myTime = col_time(format = ""),
    myLat = col_number(),
    myLong = col_number(),
    .default = col_character()
  )
  )

read_csv(
  lines,
  col_types = cols_only(
    Id = col_character(),
    Date = col_date(format = ""),
    Time = col_time(format = "")
  )
)

read_csv(
  lines,
  skip = 1, # Ignore the header row
col_names = c("myId", "myDate", "myTime", "myQuality", "myLat", "myLong"),
  col_types = cols_only(
    myId = col_character(),
    myDate = col_date(format = ""),
    myTime = col_time(format = "")