Thanks. What I need “appears” simple. The .RData file is provided by a third
party (likely converted from a different data format such as SAS in which
variable labels (not value labels) are common). When I load the binary file, in
the “environment” I see, as expected, a data frame showing how many
observations for how many variables. In addition, there is also an item (in the
environment) (say “desc”) containing a list of variable labels (definitions).
I simply like to know how to get “desc” in the environment—-it is a convenient
way to show definitions of all variables when you send a binary data file to a
third party. Thank you.