Dieter Menne:
Thanks for the suggestion and link, it looks good. I think my trouble now is
lack of basic R knowledge.

Cheers,
Michael

For example,

I tried:
histogram(~bbContag | sc_recov, data=dat)

This would work fine if I could select cases from sc_recov. How can I select
more than one case? I know I can do:

sc_recov.21 <- dat[dat$sc_recov=21,]

but how could I select all cases where sc_recov = 21, 31 or 41?