Hello R users

My goal is to use R to write functions for and automate a series of analyses
i would like to do on a large data set.  The calculations are not very
difficult in themselves, however they will be very time consuming (Plus I
think R will be extremely useful and this is another excuse to learn how to
program).

I have a vector of 20 values

x <- c(20,18, 45, 16, 47, 47, 15, 26, 14,14,12,16,35,27,18,94,16,26,26,30)

1.
I  want to select random pairs from this data set but do it without
replacement exhaustively

I know i can select random pairs without replacement using

sample(N,n,replace=F)
However i am wondering if there is any way to get 10 random pairs from this
data set without repeating any of the data points
that is to say if i got a (20, 94) for one pair, i would like to get 9 other
pairs from the data without again getting 20 or 94?

2.
The second thing i would like to do is be able to select all possible pairs
of numbers and calculate each pairs variance.  I think i will need a for
loop here but I am unsure of how to do the programing.  I am reading two
books on S and s-plus now and hope they are some help.  I thought i would
also post on this list and get some expert advice for the more experienced R
users

Thank-you very much

Stephen Cole
Marine Ecology Lab