On Windows,
you also can use Gabor Grothendieck's copydir which is part of
his utility set batchfiles available in the "Other" part of CRAN.
It copies all packages which are available in a source tree
but not available in a target tree from the source tree
to the target tree.
Then you still have to do update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE).

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science