-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Prof Brian Ripley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Inviato: ven 14/11/2008 18.27
A: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Oggetto: Re: [R] How to enable R on-line search in HTML help

First, there is a R-sig-mac list for Mac OS questions.

I will try the channel you suggest if I cannot get this problem fixed soon.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I use FireFox as my favourite web browser on my Mac OS/X 10.5

Which version of Firefox?  There is a known issue with all released
versions >= 3, discussed in the R-admin manual (and R has had a workarounf
in place for a while now).

In fact I am running version 3.0.4
I saw the suggestion:  "This is a bug in the way Firefox is interpreting
relative URLs, and can be circumvented by opening the HTML search page
(.../doc/html/SearchEngine.html) directly rather than from
.../doc/html/index.html as shown by help.start()."
But I have no control on where OS generates the link to R help-search started
from the top bar menu.

> I double-checked that Java and Java scripts are enabled for FireFox.
> Nevertheless, I cannot use R on-line search help.

How are you trying to use it?  And what exactly happens?

I click on the Help item in the top menu bar which appears as R GUI
is loaded. As a result a new window pops up which contains
three sections named "Manuals", "Reference", "Miscellaneous Material".
I click on the link "Search Engine & Keyword" in the Reference section.
Another page pops up with a number of links to R main topics. None of
such links works for me no matter how many time I click on any of them.
The only lik that works is "R Installation and Administration" even if I
double-checked that mybrowser (FireFox) has all Java boxes
checked (flags enabled). In fact I do not see any
Applet SearchEngine started anywhere on the browser window.
The help.search utility works fine when started on R command line.
There is no difference if I replace FireFox with Safari as the main
web browser.

You might be using help.start (in which case check its help page for the
workaround). Or are you referring to help in the R.app GUI (in which case
this is the wrong list)?

Actually this problam arises when I click on the Help item of the top menu bar
which is
loaded with R GUI

> I called Apple Tech Assistance but they do not support FireFox. We tried to
> set Saphari as the favourite browser but
> evidently R does not support it.

In what sense?  I've used search in help.start() with Safari in the past:
I even tested it on Windows.

With reference to the Hep item in the top menu bar, the behaviour is the same
regardless of choosing
either FireFox or Safari

> Does any one knw of a workaround this annoying problem ?

We need to understand the problem first: see the footer to this and every
R-help message.

There may be a mailing list where these GUI-related issues are discussed.
I would be happy to redirect my question to the pertinent channel.

Best regrds,
Maura E.

> Thanks a lot,
> Maura
>
> Alice Messenger ;-) chatti anche con gli amici di Windows Live Messenger e
> tutti i telefonini TIM!
> Vai su http://maileservizi.alice.it/alice_messenger/index.html?pmk=footer

Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]