indeed one could use package distr ...

library(distr)
X <- Unif(Min = 0, Max = 1)
Y <- convpow(X, 10)
p(Y)(6) - p(Y)(4)

Best
Matthias

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
Look at packages distr* : they can do your example and might do what your real applications.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Rory Winston wrote:

Hi

Firstly , happy Christmas to R-Help! Secondly, I wonder if anyone can help
me with the following query: I am trying to reproduce some explicit
probability calculations performed in APPL (a Maple extension for
computational probability). For instance, in APPL, to compute the
probability that the sum of 10 iid uniform variables [0,1] will be between 4
and 6, (i..e Pr( 4 < \sum_{i=1}^{10}X_i < 6)), I can type:

X := UniformRV(0, 1);
Y := ConvolutionIID(X, 10);
CDF(Y,6) - CDF(Y,4);

which gives the required probability .7222. Is there any way to perform
these type of calcuations in R in a general way? I realise that a lot of the machinery behind these computations comes from Maple's symbolic engine, but
are there any R extensions for these kind of calculation?

Cheers
Rory

Dr. Matthias Kohl
www.stamats.de