On 1/7/2009 9:44 AM, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
Zaslavsky, Alan M. wrote:
This article is accompanied by nice pictures of Robert and Ross.

Data Analysts Captivated by Power of R http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07program.html

January 7, 2009 Data Analysts Captivated by R’s Power By ASHLEE VANCE

SAS says it has noticed R’s rising popularity at universities,
despite educational discounts on its own software, but it dismisses
the technology as being of interest to a limited set of people
working on very hard tasks.

“I think it addresses a niche market for high-end data analysts that
want free, readily available code," said Anne H. Milley, director of
technology product marketing at SAS. She adds, “We have customers who
build engines for aircraft. I am happy they are not using freeware
when I get on a jet.”

Thanks for posting. Does anyone else find the statement by SAS to be humourous yet arrogant and short-sighted?

To me it just seemed like a "blast from the past".

Duncan Murdoch