Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
Our lab has a lot of different unix boxes, with different hardware, and I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that by setting a per-user package installation directory, the packages will only work on one type of hardware. Our systems are all set up to share the same home directory (and, thus, the same .Renviron file) -- so, is there a way to set, in the .Renviron file, per-computer or per-hardware settings? The idea is to have a different package installation directory for each computer (e.g. "~/R/computer1/packages" and "~/R/computer2/packages".

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Thanks!

You would certainly want to look at altering the library path on R startup using the RProfile.site file (see ?Startup). You R code could use bits of info from the R variables .Platform and .Machine, plus some environment variables for UNIX platform info.

As an example of altering the library path, this is what I have used in the past for my personal .Rprofile file:

### Add development R versions to the library path first
devlib <- paste('~/Rlib',gsub(' ','_',R.version.string),sep='/')
if (!file.exists(devlib))
        dir.create(devlib)

x <- .libPaths()
.libPaths(c(devlib,x))
rm(x,devlib)

So when I start up the latest development version of R, this is what is set:

$ /home/hornerj/R-sources/trunk/bin/R --quiet
> .libPaths()
[1] "/home/hornerj/Rlib/R_version_2.9.0_Under_development_(unstable)_(2008-10-14_r46718)"
[2] "/home/hornerj/R-sources/trunk/library"

But with the latest ubuntu R release:

$ R --quiet
> .libPaths()
[1] "/home/hornerj/Rlib/R_version_2.8.1_(2008-12-22)"
[2] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"
[3] "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
[4] "/usr/lib/R/library"

Jeff